With running or cycling it is all in the hips. Having adequate mobility so you can use your muscles efficiently to generate power is key. It is for this reason I’ve been working on my hip mobility. Good hip mobility promotes a stable platform to work with and reduces injury risk as your body doesn’t have to use ‘workarounds’ for each step you take.
Hip Mobility Routine
This routine can be done in front of TV. I aim to do this 2-3 times a week, as it’s something I need to work on. The routine takes approximately 10mins to run through.
- Rolling glutes on a spiky ball (30sec each side)
- Deep lunge (60sec each side)
- Groin stretch (bounce legs to help release area) / Pull up on feet (30sec)
- Pigeon pose* (60sec each side)
- Seated hamstring stretch (60sec)
- Lunge with leg on seat for bonus quad stretch (30sec each side
- Continue with a lunge, but raise up and down 10 times each side
- Hold deep squat 60s
Follow Along Routine
I find it helpful to follow a video, so I videoed myself doing the above routine.